George Marsh is a San Francisco based jazz drummer, composer, and educator, currently with the David Grisman Sextet. His recordings include those with John Abercrombie, Terry Riley, David Grisman, Jerry Garcia, Pauline Oliveros, Denny Zeitlin, Maria Muldaur, and many others. George has taught drumming and rhythm theory at the University of California at Santa Cruz and at Sonoma State University since 1982. He maintains a private studio in Santa Rosa, California.
Latest News and Updates
George is part of Modern Drummer’s new education team!
Below are the four articles on Inner Drumming that George wrote for Modern Drummer in 2012 and 2013. You can view the articles as PDFs here:
- Inner Drumming Concepts Part 1
- Inner Drumming Concepts Part 2
- Inner Drumming Concepts Part 3
- Inner Drumming Concepts Part 4
Read education team answers (including George’s) to these questions:
- Can feel be taught?
- What are the pros and cons of practicing with a metronome?
- Is it necessary and/or important for drummers to learn to read music?
New Audio Samples
with: Ken Cook, Randy Vincent, Doug Leibinger, Kasey Knudsen, Cliff Hugo, Dave Len Scott, and George Marsh
George Marsh, drumset
Noam Lemish, piano
Jim Kerwin, bass